Water is essential for life and health. We need it for drinking, farming, industry, bathing and cleaning. It is a natural resource that should never be taken for granted. In Ontario, we are among the highest water users in the world. The average residential resident here uses 225 litres per day, compared to Germany or the UK where the average per capital consumption is less than 150 litres daily.
Our drinking water is drawn from surface water sources like lakes and rivers, as well as from groundwater sources such as public or private wells. Municipal systems provide about 8.9 million Ontario residents, or 82 per cent, with drinking water. The remaining 18 per cent of residents rely upon non-municipal water systems or private wells. Although the quality of raw water may vary from one community to the next, its ultimate safety depends on a multi-barrier approach. Important elements include protection at the source of the water; effective treatment; frequent and comprehensive testing; close monitoring and reporting; training and competence of waterworks operators; a secure distribution system; and a quick response when quality issues arise.
Local communities have learned not be complacent about drinking water quality. The province has strict laws in place to keep this life-sustaining resource safe and clean. Visit Drinking Water Ontario to learn more about how our water is protected as it travels from our lakes, rivers, stream and aquifers to the taps we turn on every day in our homes.
Staff at Water Depot Parry Sound are committed to ensuring area residents can drink and enjoy healthy bacteria-free water. For more information contact 705-771-9582, or visit www.waterdepotparrysound.com.