Like many, you may dread the colder seasons of the year. One main reason may be the cold and flu symptoms you may experience. Some seem to have a constant runny nose or cough, or head congestion that makes functioning optimally very difficult. Below are some effective tips on preventing and managing cold and flu symptoms.
Is it a cold, or is it flu?
Both colds and flus (influenza) are due to the effects of viruses on your immune system, which leads to symptoms affecting your respiratory system. A common concern and question is whether you have a cold or flu. Flu usually begins with significant fatigue and weakness, often a bad headache and fever (38-41 Celsius). Cold symptoms include a stuffy nose, sore throat and sneezing. These symptoms can occur in both colds and flu’s, however the severity of the symptoms usually point to which illness you have.
Tips for prevention of colds and flu
1. Avoid touching your hands to your eyes, mouth and nose
2. Regular hand-washing with soap and water, or with an alcohol-based sanitizer
3. Get sufficient rest and reduce your stressors
4. Eat a nutritious diet
5. Get your flu vaccination – the best months to get one are in October and November
Tips for managing cold and flu symptoms
1. Rest and drink plenty of water
2. Use salt water – gargling in your mouth/throat and flushing your nasal passageways help against that bothersome dry throat feeling and help reduce nasal congestion
3. Speak to your doctor and pharmacist about appropriate prescription and over-the-counter medications that can help control your symptoms
For helpful advice and assistance with your health, contact Lane Family Pharmasave at 705-746-2187 or visit www.lanerx.com.